Transfer shares between accounts?

Janice Forrester j_forrester at verizon.net
Tue Feb 19 19:54:41 EST 2013

On 02/19/2013 01:48 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Janice Forrester<j_forrester at verizon.net>  writes:
>
>> Hi all -
>>
>> Can Gnu Cash handle the transfer of stocks or mutual funds between
>> accounts, while preserving the information on when each lot was
>> purchased, the number of shares and the basis?
>>
>> This questions arises from our conversion of traditional contributory
>> IRAs to Roth conversion IRAs.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Jan
>
> Yes and no.  When you make a transfer from A to B, in B you will have
> lost the historic context from A.  However, your 'A' history will
> remain.

> -derek

Thank you for your reply.  I am a newbie here, and do not really
understand your reply.  What specifically happens to basis and trade
date?  Another situation where this can arise if someone transfers a
security between brokers, and wants to preserve basis and trade date for
tax purposes.

Am a Money Dance refugee.  MD does not allow this type of transfer.

Thanks