Unsubscribe not working

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 09:48:04 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Dave Sergeant <dave at davesergeant.com>wrote:

> In Pegasus Mail I can click on a little button on the toolbar to change
> my subscription options. It takes me to
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/options/gnucash-user
> where I need to log to change things - not a problem, but there seems
> no way to unsubscribe by any other route.

When I "View Original" in gmail (which should give the same results as any
other mailer that allows you to see the original message) I see a header
reading:

This suggests to me that there are two ways to unsubscribe, via the
web-site and via an email message.  Mail clients which recognize the
List-Unsubscribe headers should provide a method for following those links.
 I have not tested this, however (I have no desire at this time to
unsubscribe).

On other lists I'm on the footer/signature added to the bottom by the list
usually has unsubscribe instructions.  Granted, this usually means that
"Please unsubscribe me!" messages are responded to by people pointing out
the instructions on the bottom of every message, but I assume that most of
the folks who wish to unsubscribe do so without requesting intervention.  I
just checked, and it looks like gnucash-user does not have such a footer.

One additional potential pitfall for unsubscribers is forgetting which
address they subscribed from.  In my inbox I receive mail from three
different email addresses, not including "+" variants.  If I were to send
an unsubscribe request from the wrong one of those three addresses, I would
remain subscribed and frustrated.  The headers aren't obviously useful,
since the message is listed as "To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org".  It can be
puzzled out by looking at some other headers.  The header

> suggests to me that I am probably subscribed as "blaisepascal at gmail.com"
(which I know I am).  But expecting an random subscriber to be able to
figure that out is unreasonable.