How to enter cleared date in checking account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 20 11:02:50 EST 2013

Hi,

Larry Evans <cppljevans at suddenlink.net> writes:

> Suppose my bank is named Bank1 and I've a Gnucash check register and
> Bank1 bank statement as shown in the attached.  For some reason, the
> checks to supplier1 clear after those for supplier2; however, that
> doesn't show in the RegisterWindow making it harder for me to see the
> correspondence between Bank1's statement and the Gnucash check register.
>
> Is there any way to specify the clear date in Gnucash and have the
> check register window display the clear date and sort the entries
> according to the clear date?

The dates on your books do not (and SHOULD not) be the dates on the
bank's records.  They should be when you initiate a transaction, not
when it hits your bank.  For example, if you write a check to someone
and they don't cash it for a month, you still need to keep track that
you EXPECT that money to leave your account, even if it hasn't left
yet.  The fact that the order doesn't match is a minor matter, but
that's why clearing and reconciling exist.

Alas, there is no "cleared date" in the data fields at all, so you
couldn't do that anyways.  There is a "reconciled date" but it's not
visible in the UI, and even so, using it would be "too late" for your
suggested needs.  (It gets set when you reconcile a transaction through
the reconcile process window.)