Selling stocks

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 25 11:27:51 EST 2013

Hi,

Chris Henderson <henders254 at gmail.com> writes:

> I got some stocks for free and the company is going to sell them for
> free for me. Wondering how to record the selling. The stock is
> currently set as initial purchase equity:opening balance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "for free".  Do you mean "without
commission"?  Generally there are two transactions, the purchase and the
sale.  For the sale you just use a negative number of shares in the
account, and set the sell value to the total.

Then you'll also need to handle the capital gains.

I recommend you read the Tutorial Guide, which has a whole section on
this topic.