Boy / Cub Scout Accounts... If you use GCash, how do you do it?

Chip Wachob wachobc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 13:27:41 EST 2013

Hi there,

I've been searching high and low for some examples of how to handle Scout
Accounts for individual Scouts.  We have a rather large Pack and I've been
trying to apply GCash to our situation without much luck.

Boys can have money put into their accounts several different ways,
fundraisers, straight deposits, etc.  Then they can use those funds for
Scouting activities.

Our Pack likes to be able to track the amount of money spent on various
activities, especially the larger ones, and I also need to keep track of
the Scout balances through the year.  Transfers between different Scout
Accounts to dues, baseball game, camp, supplies, etc, occur frequently.

I'd like to be able to easily generate statements for each Scout on a
quarterly basis so that we can keep their accounts in the black.

As far as reports go: I also have to report monthly on income and
expenditures for the Pack.  Generating a report would be great.  Currently,
reporting seems to have a bug (at least for me and I see some others too)
where it will not display in the GCash GUI.  I actually have to 'print' it
or save to HTML to view.  Sort of frustrating when you're trying to
determine how to make things look right.  But I digress...

We have around 50 Scouts, so that would be 50 sub-accounts in our Checking
account, which seems a bit unhandy to me.  I've read about setting up the
Scouts as Customers.  But it seems like they are both a Customer and a
Vendor depending upon what account activity needs to take place.  The other
problem I have is if I issue an Invoice to a Customer, I don't see those
debits and/or credits show up in my Assets, Expenditures or Liabilities.

I'd sure appreciate some input from anyone out there who has done this with
GCash and could offer up, maybe a template and how things should be
recorded.

I have a really basic understanding of accounting principles, and had no
problem with the 'personal' examples given in the tutorial.  But, I seem to
be beyond the accounting principles that are covered in the tutorial as I
attempt to setup the 'books' for our Pack.

Thank you in advance for your time and feedback.

Chip