Help!

Sandie Mady sandiemady at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 28 03:18:46 EST 2013

Hello
I have recently downloaded gnucash 2.4.11 for use with my household and business accounts. I entered data for a household file and all seemed well. I then created a new file and went through the same process again for my business account. To my horror I found that data from my new business files had completely overwritten the original household files. The original file name still existed but both sets of files now had the same data in. Comprehensive searches of the computer including Time Machine (Mac) didn't find any of the previous data.

As I am not particularly tech oriented I assumed that I had done something wrong. I checked again on the net that the programme allowed you to have 2 sets of independent accounts and tried again following the instructions carefully. The new file again overwrote the existing file and my days of work come to nothing! So please can you tell me where I went wrong? Or is there a bug/glitch.

The other thing I noticed when I was setting up the new files is that in the first page when you create the file name, folder, opening balances etc., the 'Save As' process did not save the opening balance figure entered on the set-up page, so I had to enter this in manually in the equity (I think) account. It also did not create a 'new folder' in the set-up as I had asked, simply putting all the individual files on the desk top.

Please help! Very frustrated!

Sandie Mady

iMac Snow Leopard 10.6.8