End of Year Issue: Equity != Assets-Liabilities

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 1 22:51:05 EST 2013

On Jan 1, 2013, at 6:56 PM, Steve Drach <drach at itsit.org> wrote:

> After closing the books, thus resetting my income and expenses to zero, I'd expect that my Equity = Assets - Liability, but that is not the case, nor has it been the case for several years now.  Is there a way to make some adjustment so the equation will work out?  I need to decrease my equity a bit without a balancing offset, but have no idea how to do this.
>
> P.S.  Does the Gnucash archive search screen look like it uses a foreign character set for everyone?  This is on a Mac running Mountain Lion in both Safari and Firefox.  I avoid searching because the displayed page is broken.

Can't help with your equity being out of balance (though I'd guess that there's some Asset account that Gnucash sees but you're overlooking).

Assuming that you're talking about the Mailing List Archive Search page, yeah, it looks thoroughly broken. You can make the strings of ASCII giberish turn into Chinese by forcing the encoding (on Firefox, View>Character Encoding) to UTF-8, but it doesn't make the rest of the page look any better.

It does work, though. Type your search terms into the text box and click on the button, and results will be displayed.

Regards,
John Ralls