Closing books

Arne Hanssen lists at tuxic.net
Thu Jan 3 13:20:13 EST 2013

Den 03. jan. 2013 16:19, skrev Jay Ridgley:
> On 01/03/2013 06:16 AM, Steve wrote:
>> I'd be curious to hear what others are doing, also.  Problem with
>> creating a
>> new file for each year, you'd lose the functionality of running multiple
>> year reports and all of the auto-fill info for transactions...
>>

>   Rightly or wrongly (I am not an accountant), each year I run a Close
> Book task with a date of 01/01/yyyy. After being sure I have entered ALL
> the transactions for the year.
>
> I quit gnucash, make a copy of the file, and then start gnucash and run
> my year-end reports (Income Statement and Balance Sheet). Then I run
> Close Book with a date of 01/01/yyyy (where yyyy is the current year). I
> use Equity:Increased Equity YYYY as the account
>
> The transaction creates an entry the zeros the expenses and income. The
> data remains and is viewable.
>
> I have not noticed any problems for the past three years I have been
> using gnucash. I am NOT an authority, so I do not claim what I am doing
> is correct. You make your own decision...

I've always run Close Book with date of yyyy-12-31, as the last action
for last year.  This keeps all information available and the
transactions created by Close Book does not interfere with report for
last year as you opt to suppress these transactions (I don't know if
this is still needed, but in previous versions one had to use a text on
these transactions which would never be used on "normal" transactions to
filter them out from reports).

--
Vennlig hilsen / Best regards      |\     ___,,--,        _
Arne Hanssen, Senja, Norway        /,`--''        \-,,__,'/