Sell stocks with a profit: Capital gains

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jan 3 19:44:59 EST 2013

On Jan 3, 2013, at 12:32 PM, Alexander Engelhardt <kamaitachi at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> thank you for your answer.
> The way you described is the way I am going to do it from now on. I was just curious about why the old way I did it was even possible.
> When I had done it that way, I didn't think about it, but now it seems that those 200€ came out of nowhere.
> This is just out of curiosity, but I am still wondering why GnuCash didn't throw an error and if those 200€ really came out of nowhere in the old way I did it.

It worked without complaint because you did have two splits in the transaction, the stock account and the cash/bank account. Gnucash isn't smart enough to recognize automatically that the the buy and sell transactions didn't balance. There is a "Lots" facility that you can run in the stock accounts that will create the income transactions for you, or you can do it manually for yourself.

Regards,
John Ralls