Setting up mortgage payments

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Jan 4 09:11:18 EST 2013

prl wrote:

> GnuCash's model of a mortgage is far to simpleminded for my needs. I
> think that part of the problem lies with the huge variety of mortgage
> products available to the GnuCash userbase. For example, I have no
> idea what a "mortgage escrow" is. I don't even know whether it's a
> familiar concept with a different name or a concept that simply
> doesn't exist in residential mortgages in Australia.

Mortgage escrow ---- (which you might not have)    An account into which
payments are collected in order to have enough to pay for taxes, etc.
which if unpaid would result in liens against the property prior to
those of the mortgage holder. Taxes, etc. are paid out of this account
by the holder of the mortgage ensuring that they know these have been
paid. Often also includes the premiums of required insurance against
loss of the property. While the mortgage holder processes these payments
the account is technically still the property of the property owner.
Usually an annual accounting at which time the amount of monthly (or
bi-weekly) escrow amount is adjusted up or down depending on the
remaining balance (or shortfall) and estimated payment needs for the
coming year.

Michael