How to DELAY automatic "Imbalance-USD" entry

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jan 5 14:08:23 EST 2013

On Jan 5, 2013, at 10:54 AM, C. Andrews Lavarre <alavarre at gmail.com> wrote:

> I obviously don't mind it creating a default transaction to balance an
> erroneous entry. However, it is a pain for it to insert such a
> transaction while I'm still editing the split.
>
> So how to turn off these automatic imbalance transactions *while I'm
> still editing the split*?
>
> Googled and check my preferences but haven't yet found a why or way.
>
> OBVIOUSLY the split won't balance until I finish editing it. So it
> shouldn't bug me until I'm done and still have an imbalance. Besides,
> this also throws off the imbalance in the last line so you have to first
> delete the Imbalance-USD line to get the correct imbalance to then apply
> to whichever line is appropriate.
>
> For example. going to the grocery involves mostly many individual
> amounts for the "Living:Food" account, but occasionally single items for
> "Living:Personal Care" or some other account. So rather than adding up
> all the food items, I enter the single entries, and then apply the
> imbalance to the "Living:Food" line. But now this automatic
> "Imbalance-USD" entry messes up the imbalance in the last line so I have
> to delete it to get the correct amount to add to or subtract from the
> Living:Food line.
>
> This must be a recent "feature" as I do not recall it occurring until
> the past week or so...It used to just show the remaining imbalance in
> the bottom line, where one could check and then adjust to bring it to
> disappear.

Hi, Andy.

If you're getting the imbalance split assigned to Imbalance-USD, then you've committed the transaction, perhaps inadvertently.

Hitting Enter/Return or clicking outside of the transaction being edited will commit the transaction, as will pressing one of the arrows enough times to move out of the top or bottom splits.

Regards,
John Ralls