Closing books

Dean Gibson gnucash at ultimeth.com
Mon Jan 7 02:27:03 EST 2013

On 2013-01-06 18:02, Yawar Amin wrote:
> Hi, [...]
>
> Closing books is unnecessary for _any_ GnuCash usage. GnuCash takes care
> of the `formal correctness' internally when you run reports.

Closing books is necessary if you want the account totals in income &
expense ledgers to reflect YTD balances (as I do).

I've never run a GnuCash report.  No need.

To answer a related question in another thread:  If you close the books
on a year and post the closing transactions to a separate account (I
think that's the only way to do it anyway, but not sure), then if you
want to change any thing in any closed year, just delete the closing
transactions for income & expense (two transactions) in that year, make
whatever changes you want in that year, and then re-close the books for
that year.