End of Year Issue: Equity != Assets-Liabilities

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 8 11:28:28 EST 2013

Steve Drach <drach at itsit.org> writes:

> On Jan 3, 2013, at 9:30 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>>
>>> Assuming that you're talking about the Mailing List Archive Search
>>> page, yeah, it looks thoroughly broken. You can make the strings of
>>> ASCII giberish turn into Chinese by forcing the encoding (on Firefox,
>>> View>Character Encoding) to UTF-8, but it doesn't make the rest of the
>>> page look any better.
>>>
>>> It does work, though. Type your search terms into the text box and
>>> click on the button, and results will be displayed.
>>
>> I'm surprised it works at all, considering namazu (the search engine we
>> were using) was removed from the distribution so wasn't updated.  The
>> visibility is an ISO v UTF8 encoding issue.
>
> Is there something I can do with my browser(s) to "fix" it?

Umm..  If there is some way to tell your browser which encoding to use.
But it's possible that the server is sending back a mix of multiple
encodings, Mojibake.  If that's the case then there's not much to do.

At some point we need to do a full ISO->UTF conversion on all data in
the server archives, and also find a more current search engine to
integrate.