help! file corruption, file type is unknown

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Jan 8 15:20:28 EST 2013

Hi,

On Tue, January 8, 2013 2:54 pm, scar wrote:
> i was working in gnucash, v. 2.4.10 r21973, when my computer froze, and
> now i am getting this error when i try to open my book:
>
> The file type of file file:///home/scar/Documents/Finances/RV Storage is
> unknown.
>
> D:  now when i look at the "RV Storage" file it is 0 bytes.  but i still
> have a bunch of log files, anyway to resurrect it? :|

First, I am very sorry for your data loss.  It can be very frustrating.

Now, depending on the file type you used, recovery could be as simple as
copying from your most recent backup.  If you're using the XML backend
(which should be the default) then you should have a bunch of files named
RV Storage.201YMMDDHHMMSS.xac (where you can fill in the date for the most
recent one).  Just copy the most recent one over the original RV Storage
and you should be back to where you were prior to your last 'save'.

If you're using SQLite as your storage, I'm afraid there is no way to
recover -- the log files only store transaction history; it is not enough
to regenerate your chart of accounts.  And if you do generate a new chart
of accounts the Account GUIDs wont match your old GUId so the log wont
replay.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745