Gnucash versions 2.2.9 and 2.4.10 broken in Debian Squeeze

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 8 23:40:55 EST 2013

On Jan 8, 2013, at 7:59 PM, Ken Heard <kenslists at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> After I upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze on 2012-11-30 the Squeeze main
> repository kept the version of gnucash which I had previously installed
> from lenny-backports, 2.2.9-10.   That gnucash version calls for
> libglib2.0-0 version 2.24.0 or higher, which I assume was the version
> originally in the Squeeze main repository, and probably in
> lenny-backports as well.   In any event I was able to use that version
> of gnucash until 2013-01-01.
>
> Later that same day I installed a number of new packages, and also some
> security fixes.  The following day I was unable to open gnucash.
> Instead I received the following error message when I tried to open it
> in a terminal emulator:
>
> Gnu.bin – Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
> configure time.
> Segmentation fault.
>
> I then checked the packages installed or upgraded on 2013-01-01; there
> was only one which gnucash uses -- libglib2.0-0 version 2.24.2-1  This
> version is now the one in the Squeeze main repository.  I consequently
> can only assume that gnucash will not load with this version of that
> package, although the gnucash dependency list says the it will work with
> versions 2.24.0 and higher.  I also tried to use the version of gnucash
> from squeeze-backports, 2.4.10-2, but it does not work  either and
> returns the same segmentation fault message.
>
> I recall that in 2010, when I was upgrading from Etch to Lenny and at
> the same time upgrading gnucash 2.2.9 from an earlier version.  On that
> occasion I had to recompile gnucash.
>
> I have in addition since 2013-01-01 found problems with other packages
> which use libglib2.0-0.  Package hardinfo now returns a segmentation
> fault.  Iceweasel now 17.0 crashes when I attempt to download a file
> from it.
>
> Since I started using it in 2008 I have come to depend on gnucash for
> all my accounts.  It is consequently critical that this bug be fixed as
> soon as possible.
>
> I have already filed two bug reports.  One is filed in the debian
> tracking system, number 697737.  The other is filed in
> bugzilla.gnome.org, number 691379.
>
> Has anyone else experienced the same or a similar problem, either with
> gnucash or libglib2.0-0?

I sympathize with your need to get your Gnucash installation fixed, but splattering bug reports and emails all over the place isn't going to get you anywhere. From your description, it's evident that the problem doesn't lie in Gnucash, which is why I closed your bug report.

However, we're willing to help  troubleshoot your problem. The first thing we need is a stack trace. Instructions to obtain one are at [1]. We'll get the best results if you install the -dbg packages for glib and gnucash first.

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stack_Trace