Gnucash versions 2.2.9 and 2.4.10 broken in Debian Squeeze

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Jan 9 10:34:33 EST 2013

On Jan 9, 2013, at 4:17 AM, Ken Heard <kenslists at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> On 2013-01-09 04:40, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> I sympathize with your need to get your Gnucash installation fixed, but splattering bug reports and emails all over the place isn't going to get you anywhere. From your description, it's evident that the problem doesn't lie in Gnucash, which is why I closed your bug report.
>
> What would you have me do otherwise?  I do not know enough to determine
> whether the bug is a gnucash bug or a debian bug.  The only way I could
> think of the determine the source of the bug is to do what I did, file a
> bug report to both gnucash and debian and post to the two user lists.

That you found other packages failing certainly suggests a packaging problem. In any case, users should go to their distros for support and not report problems upstream unless directed to do so -- but in general it's better for the packager to deal with upstream, since they're more likely to have the expertise needed to find the problem.

>> However, we're willing to help  troubleshoot your problem. The first thing we need is a stack trace. Instructions to obtain one are at [1]. We'll get the best results if you install the -dbg packages for glib and gnucash first.
>
> As for the stack trace, I followed the instructions on the webpage you
> gave me under the heading: "Starting GnuCash under gdb".  Running
> "gnucash-env gdb gnucash-bin" as instructed produced the following result:
>
> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.0.1-debian
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu".
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
> Reading symbols from /usr/bin/gnucash-bin...Reading symbols from
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/gnucash-bin...done.
> (no debugging symbols found)...done.
> (gdb) run --nofile
> Starting program: /usr/bin/gnucash-bin --nofile
> gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
> configure time.

> 0xb75e8e05 in gnc_module_get_info () at gnc-module.c:322
> 322     gnc-module.c: No such file or directory.
>        in gnc-module.c
> (gdb) bt full
> #0  0xb75e8e05 in gnc_module_get_info () at gnc-module.c:322
>        pathfunc = 0xb75e4c10
>        iface = 0xb75e5204
>        descripfunc = 0xb75e4be0
>        revision = 0xb75e5208
>        gmodule = <value optimized out>
>        modsysver = 0x0
>        initfunc = 0xb75e4bc0
>        age = 0xb75e520c
>        f_descrip = 0xb75e4be0
> <libgncmod_calculation_gnc_module_description>
> #1  gnc_module_system_refresh () at gnc-module.c:218
>        d = 0x805ff90
>        dent = <value optimized out>
>        fullpath = 0x806cc40
> "/usr/lib/gnucash/gnucash/libgncmod-backend-file.so"
>        search_dirs = 0x8051390
>        current = <value optimized out>
> #2  0xb75e90f3 in gnc_module_system_init () at gnc-module.c:170
> No locals.
> #3  0x0804a906 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff254) at gnucash-bin.c:597
> No locals.
> (gdb) quit
> A debugging session is active.
>
>        Inferior 1 [process 6745] will be killed.
>
> Quit anyway? (y or n) n
> Not confirmed.
> (gdb) ^CQuit
> (gdb) quit
> A debugging session is active.
>
>        Inferior 1 [process 6745] will be killed.
>
> Quit anyway? (y or n) y
> ken at R61:/home/ken$
>
> I hope the foregoing makes sense to me; it does not to me.  I suppose I
> should add it to my bug report to debian.
>
> Thanks, and regards, Ken Heard

It appears that the problem is in loading a module. You might pass that on to the Debian packager.

Regards,
John Ralls