Setting up mortgage payments

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Jan 9 15:52:03 EST 2013

>Programs for checking your mortgage repayments suitable for Australia
>are on sale. The calculations are not easy for pen and paper work, but
>easily computerised. Prediction isn't required, so Mike doesn't need a
>crystal ball, but there would be some interest in checking after the
>event.

I didn't think we were talking about CHECKING mortgage payments (after
the fact) but being able to SCHEDULE mortgage payments (set up scheduled
transactions in gnucash). I was referring to the impossibility of
scheduling (with the amounts) when the amounts might change before the
scheduled payment was due.

There is NO problem about entering mortgage payments manually once the
amounts are known.

Were I in Australia  and had such a mortgage (with  rates as well as
principle*) changing  within the period I'd probably have spot checked
the bank's calculation (but unlikely to be doing that every month).
But  that's more because if I did find an error  could probably get the
bank to address the problem (I used to make my living writing  software
for one of the world's largest "financials" so likely could "get
through" to those doing that for the bank).

Michael D Novack, FLMI

* Here interest changing during the period we don't have but changing
principle yes, any "line of credit" mortgage before the line of credit
period has closed and it becomes a more ordinary sort. With a "line of
credit" mortgage you might be taking out more loan or paying back some
at any time.