Gnucash versions 2.2.9 and 2.4.10 broken in Debian Squeeze

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 10 09:51:35 EST 2013

On 01/09/2013 10:34 AM, John Ralls wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2013, at 4:17 AM, Ken Heard <kenslists at teksavvy.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2013-01-09 04:40, John Ralls wrote:
>>
>>> I sympathize with your need to get your Gnucash installation
>>> fixed, but splattering bug reports and emails all over the place
>>> isn't going to get you anywhere. From your description, it's
>>> evident that the problem doesn't lie in Gnucash, which is why I
>>> closed your bug report.

[snip]
Luckily for me, I am not having any problem running Gnucash on my Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 6 system. Lucky because Red Hat do not support
Gnucash at all (it is not included in their distributions), so I could
not go to them if I had a problem. This was true in RHEL 3 and RHEL 5 as
well.

To run Gnucash, I searched the web for gnucash el6 x86_64 rpm and got
this: gnucash-2.4.11-1.el6.x86_64

The el6 gets mostly RHEL6 stuff, the x86_64 gets stuff that runs on
current Intel Xeon 64 bit processors, and the rpm gets me packages that
have a chance at installing.

Then (to skip the dead end paths I actually followed), I ran ldd gnucash
and had it print out the list of missing stuff, and then did the above
ritual to get the other missing modules. Sometimes, getting a missing
module just added to the list. Very tedious, but not difficult.
Then it all worked. Sometimes when doing this, I cannot finish because
some module gets loaded that conflicts with another (they all come from
different repositories). Then I have to guess and remove some and get
others. It is too bad things are like this, but that is the way it goes.

In summary, ldd is your friend.

When I was all done, I had to get these (YMMV):

aqbanking-4.2.4-4.el6.x86_64.rpm
atrpms-75-1.noarch.rpmgnucash-2.4.11-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
gnucash-docs-2.4.1-1.el6.noarch.rpm
goffice-0.8.12-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
guile-1.8.7-5.el6.x86_64.rpm
gwenhywfar-3.11.3-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm
ktoblzcheck-1.37-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
libdbi-0.8.3-3.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
libofx-0.9.4-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
opensp-1.5.2-12.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
perl-Finance-Quote-1.17-1.el6.rf.noarch.rpm
perl-HTML-TableExtract-2.10-7.el6.noarch.rpm
perl-HTML-Tree-3.18-6.el6.noarch.rpm
perl-XML-XPathEngine-0.12-3.el6.noarch.rpm
qbanking-4.2.4-4.el6.x86_64.rpm
slib-3b2-1.el6.noarch.rpm