Equity Accounts

thedini constantine.macris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 20:55:34 EST 2013

Hey guys,

sorta a n00b when it comes to accounting and GnuCash but figure I will start
here.

I have a small business. We just started up and made a little bit of money
this year! I was able to do the invoices, accounts receivable, have the
payments be made and went into current assets. The payments also post in
sales.

I have the standard business accounts set up.

My question comes here.

Background: One of the members (LLC with 3 members 45/45/5 not taxed as
corporation, taxed as individuals) spent money out of pocket on business
expenses. We don't want to pay him with the cash we have on hand because we
want it to remain in the business for now. What we want to do it set up an
equity account for each member and have those expenses post in there.

Question: From what I understand I should set up an equity account for each
member and those expenses go into that. Now if I want to do that how would I
set that up and have the expenses appear in the right expense account. Would
it be better to post it as a loan?

Thanks guys!