gnucash deamon/windows service?

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 15 18:01:02 EST 2013

On 1/15/2013 7:08 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> On 15-01-13 13:34, Matt Funk wrote:
>> Hi,
>> i have been wondering if the following is possible. I am somewhat of
>> a lazy
>> user, and sometimes time gets away such that i don't get to do my
>> finances
>> for quite some time. Anyway, due to that, transactions are sometimes not
>> available anymore from the financial institution.
>>
>> So my questions is:
>> Does there exist some gnucash daemon/service that runs in the background
>> and automatically gets my transactions for the next time that i get
>> around
>> to doing my finances?
>>
>> thanks
>> matt
>>
> Hi Matt,
>
> I don't know of such a service, I'm afraid. It's not built-in into
> GnuCash for sure.
>
> So you will probably have to go with JCard2's suggestions to update
> your financial information more regularly.
>
> Geert

Hi Matt,

All of the financial institutions afaik offer downloads allow going back
at least several months, with the possible exception of one or two
department stores.
Either
1. you are dealing with the wrong FI
2. You have not not found the link on their website to download older
transactions
3. You are Rip Van Winkle's son.

Try investigating item number 2.
If you can actually go for months between GnuCash data entry sessions
you might consider reverting to a paper based system.  In my life
GnuCash is usually opened daily, and I even take it along when I go on
vacation.  To me, roughing it is going out of Wi-Fi/4G range.

David C