Fwd: gnucash

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 15:56:15 EST 2013

Rachel--

The documentation for how to set up Gnucash to enable tax reporting is hidden in Chapter 9 of the help manual: http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-help/set-tax-options.html

Basically, for each account, you select Edit->Tax Report Options, locate the account you want to associate with a tax code entry (for example, Expenses:Tax:Federal), select the tax code entry that is appropriate (in this example, W-2 Box 2) and save the settings.

You need to save the settings for each tax code entry one at a time, unfortunately; you can't go through your entire Chart of Accounts, make the links and then save everything at once. Don't forget to set the tax options for deductions, as well!

I believe that it is possible to simultaneously associate multiple accounts with a single tax code line (as, for example, when you have separate dividend accounts that would all be associated with one tax code line), but don't hold me to that. In this case, you would select the accounts all at once and set them to the single tax code line.

The one good thing about this process is that you do it once, and then it's done. You only have to muck around again if you have new accounts to work on.

Once you've assigned your accounts, you can then run the Tax Schedule Report and see the results.

Typically, I will edit the options on this to remove transaction detail; this way I have a tax report summarizing numbers by account. I then double check this with the documents I receive from employers and other sources. Once everything looks good, I export as a TXF and go from there. If you are having someone do your taxes, you can print out your summary report.

HTH,
David