One bite of the apple at a time on the toolbar?

Steve butterandsalt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 18:14:21 EST 2013

This is a small annoyance, but hoping someone can point me in the right
direction.  I only experience this when I use GnuCash.  I experience it
throughout GnuCash whenever I use the toolbar at the top of the screen, but
here's one simple example.  btw, I'm running GnuCash on Windows 7, both 32
and 64...

So I have a checking account open with all transactions displayed.

1. I highlight a transaction, any transaction
2. I click on the "Split" button that is on the toolbar at the top of the
screen
3. The transaction opens the split
4. I then want to close the split, so I go to the toolbar and click on
"Split" again
5. This time nothing happens.  Indeed at this point if I click on ANY of the
buttons on the toolbar, nothing happens.
6. If I click somewhere OUTSIDE of Gnucash (anywhere, in another program, on
my desktop, etc.) and THEN go back to Gnucash (without it being closed), and
click on any of the buttons, they work again...but just once (until I click
outside of Gnucash, etc
7. Note: Unlike the buttons on the Toolbar, eg Save, Close, Duplicate,
Delete, etc., if I click on the menu at the very very top of GnuCash, eg
File, View, Transactions, Actions, and click on any of the options under any
of those headings, they DO always work, repetitively.

Does anyone know why my mouse seems to lose its focus on the toolbar buttons
after clicking on them once?  eg I get one "bite" on these buttons, and
they're not active again until I click outside of Gnucash and return.

Thanks!