problems with invoice templates

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Jan 18 11:46:49 EST 2013

On 18-01-13 17:30, Mark Baustian wrote:
> I recently upgraded to gnucash 2.4.11 along with a distro upgrade and an
> upgrade to kde4. I had custom packing slip and invoice forms based on the
> 'printable invoice'. The saved reports imported and as I recall for some
> reason I didn't like the way they looked. I tried to edit the saved reports
> but eventually ended up making new ones based on the printable template. I got
> things looking okay (not as great as my old ones but serviceable.) However,
> when I print either form the 'm' in 'amount due' does not print. Instead a
> little box is printed. I'm guessing the printer driver (this is an HP printer
> and have the most upto date HLIP and HPIJS driver available for my distro
> (debian-squeeze) is getting an errant character passed to it. The 'm' prints
> onscreen and if I print to file then print the pdf the 'm' prints. This is the
> only printing problem I have with gnucash that I am aware of. I tried making
> invoices with the easy and fancy templates and they have the same problem. Any
> thoughts? This looks pretty unprofessional and generating and printing
> invoices is one of the main things I do.
>
> Thanks, Mark
Hi Mark,

I'm using GnuCash on Fedora 17 with KDE 4 as well. Same problem here. I
still haven't figured out what is the cause, but for sure it's not
GnuCash. The same issue happens in several other places, like when I try
to print an e-mail from Kmail or a text file from Kwrite or Kate.

There seems to be an issue either in KDE's print stack or in the HP
printer driver. I even haven't had time to report this upstream (where
should I ? Fedora ? KDE ? HP ?). If you do report this somewhere, please
let me know where, so I'll chime in in the discussion. And if you manage
to get this working, I'm very eager to learn how.

Geert