FinanceQuote installation difficulties on Mac OS X 10.5

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 22 23:24:31 EST 2013

On Jan 22, 2013, at 7:58 PM, ipardoe <iainpardoe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I followed the instructions for installing Finance::Quote on Mac OS X 10.5
> but without success.  The final message in my Terminal window is:
> Running make install
>  make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
> I recall that one question the script asked was something about where to
> look for various files with the default being usr/local/bin, which I
> accepted. I'm wondering if perhaps I should have entered Developer/usr/bin
> instead? I don't know how to do this over again, however. When I
> double-click FinanceQuote Update again the script doesn't ask me any of the
> questions it asked me before, but instead it seems to simply re-use the
> answers I entered before (and so the installation just fails again).
> Is it possible to try the installation over again with the script asking me
> all the questions it asked me the first time?
> Sorry if my question doesn't make much sense - I'm way out of my depth here.
> Thanks for any help.

Normally just accepting the defaults works, and that's what the instructions say to do.

You can start over by deleting the .cpan folder in your home folder.It's hidden by default in Finder, so the easiest way
is to open a Terminal session and use
sudo rm -rf .cpan

I need a bit more than "returned bad status, won't install without force". I need at least to know what package failed,
which is usually visible in the last screenful of output.

Regards,
John Ralls