How do I email my gnucash accounts to my accountant?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Jan 24 04:30:24 EST 2013

On Wed 23 January 13 22:30:52 Feidhlim Harty wrote:
> Hi Maf.,
>
> I'm running a bit aground on VAT. I placed my taxes in the expense folder
> and my accountant has asked me to move them to Liabilities. Gnucash will
> let me move my taxes folder within my expense folder only, but not out to
> liabilities. Is there any way to do this?
>
> Also, in a reconcile for accounts receivable - is there any automatic way
> for one column to reflect the entries in the other. i.e. if I have clientA
> owing 100 at the LHS, and showing as paid in the RHS, clientB owing 150 in
> the LHS but not represented at the RHS, is there a facility to flag these
> unpaid clients?
>
> Thanks

Hi Féidhlim

Don't forget to send your questions to the list, there are others there who
know more about GC than me, and also, with the spread of timezones you may get
a quicker response too.

I don't know how the VAT systems work in Eire, I can only speak to my
knowledge of UK rules - and I'm not an accountant....

VAT you have paid to a supplier (input tax) is an asset - you are able to
reclaim it from the government at some interval.  VAT you have charged to your
customers (output tax) is a liability  - it belongs to the government, you are
just "looking after it" for a while.

If you want to re-parent an expense account under a liability parent, I think
that you would have to change the account type too - it's in the "edit
Account" dialogue box, just to the left of the "parent account" section.

As to the A/R unpaid customers question, have you tried the Receivables Ageing
report - see Reports menu -> Business -> Receivables Ageing ?

AFAIK, the reconcile box has no way to know which invoice is paid.  Reconcile
is mostly set up to let you compare your version of an (eg Bank/Credit Card)
account with a statement from that organisation.  You can certainly reconcile
the A/R account, but it seems to me that the business module wasn't created
with the intention of regular reconcilliation.  The register doesn't show the
"reconciled Y/C/N" flag, for example.

HTH,
Maf.