Matching transactions in the 'Imbalance' account

David J. Bakeman dbakeman at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 21:54:00 EST 2013

On 01/28/2013 05:28 PM, Peter Ward wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've recently downloaded gnucash and believe I am progressing well enough
> with its use. I find it extremely logical for which I'm thankful.
> I have however encountered one issue with which I'm sure experienced users
> will be able to help.
>
> I've downloaded and imported multiple bank account statements into gnucash.
> Of course each transaction is also initially entered into the Imbalance
> account to maintain double entries.
>
> When however I go through transactions in account (A) to correct the
> destination account (B) for each transaction, a second entry is created in
> the destination account (B), even though dates and amounts match the
> original entries in account (B)
> So I end up with 2 transactions for each 'real' transaction in account (B),
> one pointing at the correct account (A) and the original entry in account
> (B) pointing at the Imbalance account.
>
>  - Is there any way to 'match' the transactions in the Imbalance account
> with each other?
>  - Is there any way to point a transaction in account (A) at a specific
> transaction in account (B)?
>  - Any other suggestions as to how I may sort this out procedurally...e.g.
> import account (A), specify the destinations for all account (A)
> transactions, then import account (B) and hope the filter will recognise
> the existing transactions?
If I understand you correctly I think you are entering a new transaction
because you are entering
it in (A) which does NOT yet have the transaction.  So you need to go to
(B) and edit the transaction.
Replace Imbalance with the desired account (A).

So find the transaction in (B) hit the split button then go to the entry
that's set to imbalance and
change it to (A) and hit return.