Split transactions are killing me

John Filsak john.filsak at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 05:44:35 EST 2013

On 30 January 2013 03:02, Will <Will.stewart1a at gmail.com> wrote:
> If split transactions were easy, I wouldn't be here.
>
> I started a transaction, as you can see below. Then I followed your
> instructions by assigning it to an account, entering a charge value, then
> hitting 'enter'.
>
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4659267/1st_screenshot.png>
>

> Then I picked an empty row and entered the clothes portion of the charge.
> Not sure why it ended up this way;
>
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4659267/2nd_screenshot.png>
>
> So then I entered another row of info in the yellow row, erasing the $500
> payment and putting in $200 charge;
>
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4659267/3rd_screenshot.png>
>
> So now there are no more rows to enter information in, and I have this odd
> Orphan row that I don't want.
>
> So I decide to enter more information on the Orphan row. Then it looks so
> bizarre, I don't know what to make of it, though this is the closest I've
> come to success.
>
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4659267/4th_screenshot.png>
>
> The Tutorial is useless on this subject (and the example is one that I doubt
> more that 5% of users would employ).
>
> Is there some precise set of keystrokes and fields to move to that can solve
> this issue?

Will,

It looks to me as though you are entering the splits on the wrong
side. Your one credit card charge should be on its own in the
right-hand column. Your expenditure splits should be in the left-hand
one, labelled "Payment". GNUcash helpfully shows you the balance that
has to be made up once one or more splits have been added. It's
probably not a good idea to press "Enter" until you want to commit the
transaction to the register. Use tabs and arrow keys instead.

Hope this helps.

John.