Split transactions are killing me

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 18:59:45 EST 2013

Will--

I agree that the distinction between Tab and Enter is a little... confusing, and have questioned the distinction in the past. There are places in the Help Guide and the Tutorial where the distinction is hinted at, but I don't know whether it is explicitly brought up anywhere. I think it would be best to put something into chapter 6 of the Help document...

You might have a look at the Tutorial and concepts guide, chapter 4 (http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_txns.html). It goes into some detail about entering transactions in the GnuCash environment, and provides some detailed walk-throughs on simple and complex transactions.

As for the Left Column/Right Column confusion: while I have used GnuCash for a long time, I am by no means an expert in either the software or accounting (a fact that many on the lists would confirm). The Left/Right column-ness actually depends (as I understand it) on the kind of account you are in; I note also that the labels change as well depending on the account type. I am not an accountant, but I am assured by those that are that the variations in terminology and placement follow a logic, which I am sure someone will now provide. Since I am not an accountant, I simply muck around with the transaction until it does what I need it to do.

David