Split transactions are killing me

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 22:59:47 EST 2013

Will--

I understand your frustration, but perhaps you don't understand that GnuCash is an open source software project built, documented and maintained by volunteers. Since you are so critical of the Help and Tutorial documentation, you might consider making some tangible suggestions on how that documentation can be improved, so that everyone can benefit.

I'll refer you to http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Trouble-With-quot-Enter-quot-vs-quot-Tab-quot-Again-td4036073.html--a lengthy thread about precisely the difference between Tab and Enter (begun by me). That discussion led directly to the addition of a note in 8.7 of the Tutorial to assist in that particular situation.

By the way, the section of the Help document is not "unrelated"; it's the chapter on managing transactions.

I have filed Bug 692917 in direct response to your desire to have a clear note outlining the (admittedly different) behaviors of Tab and Enter. Take a look and see whether it would have helped you.

As for your complaint that the Tutorial is too high level: I'd welcome any tangible suggestions on editorial changes. It was my perception that these instructions were clear.

David