Always Online?

Johannes Kapune listen at kapune.de
Tue Jul 16 08:31:58 EDT 2013

Hi Alice,

Am 16.07.2013 13:24, schrieb Alice on the Lake:
> 	I downloaded and installed GnuCash for Windows.  It always wants to go online.  I
> cannot open the program unless I give the *.exe file permission to go online.  Is this
> necessary?

No this is a problem in windows

> 	What if I don't have online access at some times?

after you fix it, no connection is needed

> 	Where are my GnuCash filed stored?

You deside where GnuCash stores your data, normall on hd

> 	What information does GnuCash receive from my computer?
none

> 	I am a lawyer, and I have to keep my accounting information confidential.  So this is
> important to me.
>
> Alice Harman, Attorney
> (503) 390-6000
> Direct Email: alice.harman at comcast.net

snip 2013-12-31
====
And that's exactly the ugly thing Microsoft did. On Windows, localhost
is NOT
equal to 127.0.0.1.

127.0.0.1 is truly the internal loopback adapter, so when GnuCash tries to
access 127.0.0.1, it is truly trying to talk to another process on your
machine and never leaves your system.

On any platform except Windows, 127.0.0.1 is also what localhost points
to, so
accessing localhost on all platforms but Windows is exactly the same as
accessing 127.0.0.1

Unfortunatly, Microsoft decided to make localhost refer to your physical
network card (the one that connects you to the internet or your local
network).
This means that accessing localhost on your Windows PC is equivalent to
accessing your internet connection. At least that's what your Firewall
thinks,
but even when accessing localhost the request never leaves your PC with or
without firewall. The low level network stack of your operating system
knows
that your physical network card is local and so it would never send out
information when it gets a request to access "the machine behind your
physical
network card" which is what localhost on Windows refers to.
====
snap

Johannes