Blank values in bookings of some accounts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 25 12:49:41 EDT 2013

Hi,

Sir_Robin <sir_robin at ymail.com> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> the information about the currencies was the right clue. I realized by
> entering new bookings in the *account register* of the expense
> (Sprachaufenthalt) that the exchange rate is set to 0. I don't know how and
> when this happened to be the default...

First, I would recommend you enter your transaction from an Asset or
Liability account instead of from Income or Expense accounts.  In
general it's easier for humans to think about a withdrawal from an asset
that goes to an Expense than thinking about it from the other
direction.

This will also affect the "transaction currency" -- the currency that
the transaction is denoted!  Transactions take on the currency of the
account in which the transaction was first created.  So if you're
creating it from a foreign-currency expense account it might be "weird"
in terms of what the exchange rate is going to signify and where GnuCash
is going to ask for it.

> *Nevertheless, is this the right setting to set the currency as default from
> this how-to?*
> http://gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/currency_howto1.html
>
> However, is there a way to change that in all bookings backdated? I set the
> exchange rate in the price editor to 01.01.2013, but it didn't affect the
> bookings between 01.01.2013 and today....

No, you will need to go back and manually re-do them all.  The PriceDB
is only used going forward, because each transaction (technically each
Split) effectively stores its explicit exchange rate.

> *slightly off-topic:*
> David, I use both: entering the transfer at the end in an account register
> and the actions -> transfer aka. ctrl+T. However, I realized that the
> "ctrl+T" shows me only income and expense accounts in the dialog box, when I
> use ctrl+T while being in a expense register. Is there anywhere a global
> setting to activated the visibility of income/expense in the ctrl+T dialog
> box without setting every single time the checkbox?

Yes, I believe there is a setting, but frankly you shouldn't do it from
an Expense Account, as I mentioned earlier.