Best way to import data or create transaction

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 19:12:12 EDT 2013

On 7/30/2013 5:01 PM, Niranjan Rao wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Paycheck I receive varies every cycle and as a result so does the
> split amounts of the transaction. The service provider my company uses
> has data available on the site, but no downloads except payslip stub
> in PDF format.
>
> I have written a simple scraper and I able to login and scrape data
> from service provider.
>
> Normally I get a notification few days in advance about upcoming
> paycheck. I would like to scrape data and create a transaction in
> gnucash that has right splits based on this scraped data. Ideally I
> should be able to change upcoming scheduled transaction with the new
> data.
>
> What will be the best way to do this? I am not yet saving the scraped
> data so changing incoming data format is not a big deal.
>

> Regards,
>
> Niranjan

Is it worth the effort to do that?
There are two fairly easy alternatives.
1. Once a transaction has been entered, use the Duplicate transaction
button to make a copy, then edit it to represent the next paycheck.
2. Once a transaction has been entered, use the Schedule button to
create a scheduled transaction.  After the next transaction is entered,
edit it to match the new values.  If you can imagine a 'typical' or
'boilerplate' paycheck transaction that would need less editing (or
simpler editing) each time, that may work best.
Granted, either method requires human intervention.
David C