Different dates in Expense Voucher

Jonas Lippuner jonas at lippuner.ca
Tue Jun 11 13:18:30 EDT 2013

Dear all,

I sometimes get receipts from employees for reimbursement of money
they spent months ago. As an example, let's say an employee gives me
two receipts in June for money they spent in April and May. I would
then create an new expense voucher and in the entries list the two
items with the appropriate date when the money was spent (i.e. the
date of the receipt). Then I post the voucher and process a payment,
which will be a single check that the employee gets for the two expenses.

The problem is now that the two entries show up in the expense account
with the post date of the voucher rather than the date of the entry
(i.e. the date of the receipt). This is a problem because I would like
to have the date in the expense account be the date when the money was
actually spent. Because for this specific project, we have a budget
entry every month, but if I only get the receipts later I still want
the expense to show up in the month when it was actually incurred.
Otherwise that account will be under budget for a few months and then
over budget later.

I tried unchecking the option "accumulate splits" when posting the
voucher, but that still creates a single transaction (albeit with
multiple splits now) with a single date (the post date) and so the
receipt dates get lost again. The desired functionality would be that
GnuCash creates a different transaction for each entry in the voucher,
so that the different dates are preserved.

Is it possible to do this in GnuCash? If not, what would be the best
way to handle this situation? Note that it also applies to invoices (a
customer pays several things on the same invoice that have different
income dates) and bills.

Thanks for the help,
Jonas

- --
My email is signed and I encrypt email on request.
To verify my signature or send me encrypted email,
get my public key: http://lippuner.ca/key