Install finance:quotes Win 7 (made easy)

Steve butterandsalt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 22:31:05 EDT 2013

Can't tell you the number of times I've reinstalled GnuCash over the past
year.  And each time I have to install the finance:quotes program to get it
working, I never can find which file to run.  I know I should suggest a
modification to the wiki which is so totally not helpful...as someone
said...

"The wiki tells you to open the Install Online Price Retrieval from the
Gnucash group. That ought to be clear: the Gnucash group is the listing
under Programs, which is itself under the Start menu (on Windows). There
should be an entry there to Install Online Price Quotes."

If you're using Windows, you of course won't see anything that says "Install
Online Price Quotes" nor is there any file in any of the subfolders under
GnuCash so named.  To a first timer or novice, total dead end.

After you install Perl, go to your bin sub-directory under GnuCash and run
"install-fq-mods.cmd".  That's all there is to it.  Absent my suggesting a
modification to the wiki, thought I'd simply say it simply here, for the
benefit of the throngs that scratch their head looking for "Install Online
Price Quotes".

Wonder if I get a medal for the most reinstalls in a one year period... :)
Have a good evening.