Install finance:quotes Win 7 (made easy)

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 09:35:47 EDT 2013

On 6/24/2013 9:31 PM, Steve wrote:
> Can't tell you the number of times I've reinstalled GnuCash over the past
> year.  And each time I have to install the finance:quotes program to get it
> working, I never can find which file to run.  I know I should suggest a
> modification to the wiki which is so totally not helpful...as someone
> said...
>
> "The wiki tells you to open the Install Online Price Retrieval from the
> Gnucash group. That ought to be clear: the Gnucash group is the listing
> under Programs, which is itself under the Start menu (on Windows). There
> should be an entry there to Install Online Price Quotes."
>
> If you're using Windows, you of course won't see anything that says "Install
> Online Price Quotes" nor is there any file in any of the subfolders under
> GnuCash so named.  To a first timer or novice, total dead end.
>
> After you install Perl, go to your bin sub-directory under GnuCash and run
> "install-fq-mods.cmd".  That's all there is to it.  Absent my suggesting a
> modification to the wiki, thought I'd simply say it simply here, for the
> benefit of the throngs that scratch their head looking for "Install Online
> Price Quotes".
>
> Wonder if I get a medal for the most reinstalls in a one year period... :)
> Have a good evening.
>

> --
> .

Well, I have GnuCash 2.4.13 installed on my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine
and I regularly un-install it, install 2.5 2 or whatever, play for a
while, then un-install the newer program and re-install 2.4.13.  Then I
update stock prices without a problem.

I never have to mess with re-installing online price quotes.  Since you
brought this up, I checked the Windows GnuCash start group on my machine
and found the "Install Online Price Retrieval"  link that you say is
missing from your machine.  I would say that your problem is unique to
your installation on your machine.

Do you use the Windows Control Panel uninstall programs feature to
uninstall GnuCash before you re-install it?  Try that, and after
re-reading the FAQ sections 2 and 3, (there should be a link to that in
your Windows GnuCash start group too) try deleting or re-naming the
.gnucash (thats dot-gnucash) and .gconf\apps\gnucash (thats
dot-gconf...) subdirectories in your user directory.  Note that if you
have customized your UI or created customized reports you will want to
keep copies of certain files.  You might also want to download a fresh
copy of 2.4.13 from
<http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/gnucash-2.4.13-setup.exe>.

If you continue to have problems try using the IRC channel where you can
usually get (almost) immediate help.

David C