help

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 23:21:24 EDT 2013

FrontAccounting, the software who's help pages you linked to, maintains the
concept of user accounts, and user access rights.  GnuCash does not.  The
"exact feature" you want to duplicate is not supported in GnuCash.

I was curious about the review quote you found about GnuCash having
multiple users.  I found it using Google Search, and the quote given is
taken way out of context.  Here's the two paragraphs surrounding that line:

So…I thought I would fill in the blanks so that anyone who has the
developer chops could pick up the open source GnuCash and roll up what
could easily be a QuickBooks killer. Here’s what GnuCash needs:

*Multi-user capability: *With GnuCash you can have multiple users, but each
user has to have their own data file. Or you can have multiple users
opening up the same data file, but not concurrently. GnuCash is a
one-at-a-time tool. I realize this feature alone would take either a team
of developers or an incredibly talented individual to pull off. But I know
there are some brilliant open source developers out there who could add
this feature.

The review isn't saying GnuCash has multi-user capability, it's saying it
doesn't.  There is no way to add users to GnuCash, no way of changing user
access permissions in GnuCash.  The concepts are completely foreign to
GnuCash.

What you can do is make copies of the GnuCash data file and give a copy to
a third party, like your accountant.  They will be able to open it and work
with the contents.  GnuCash does not provide a way to combine changes made
in two different versions of the file, so if you expect your accountant to
make changes to the books (fix problematic transactions, add new accounts,
etc) then you should not modify your copy, but rather use it only for
report purposes until the accountant returns the file, and then use the
file as modified by the accountant.