Automatic upload of bank statements from bank.csv files?

James Nylen jnylen+gnucash at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 18:56:17 EST 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> > I would like to know if there is a way to automatically send these
> entries
> > into the corresponding bank account of my GNU Cash software?
>
> It depends on your definition of "automatically send[ing] the[se]
> entries".  You can use the GnuCash CSV importer to manually pull the CSV
> file into a GnuCash account and assign each transaction to its
> appropriate income/expense account.  But no, there is no way to do that
> in a batch-mode, without user input.

Well, there is a way... compile GnuCash with the Python API and write a
Python script to parse the CSV file and add all the transactions.

I do something similar as part of an automated process that runs every 4
hours to download QIF files from my bank and add any new transactions.
 Here's the code:

https://github.com/nylen/gnucash-django/blob/master/gnucash_scripts/import_qif_file.py#l160