QIF import - Inconsistent Date - How to fix?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 5 12:47:50 EST 2013

Hi,

bunk3m <bunk3m at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Derek.
>
> On 4.03.2013 10:46 , Derek Atkins wrote:
>> bunk3m <bunk3m at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>    Thank you, David.
>>>    I changed the Locale on my Mac to US and changed the date/time in
>>>    Gnucash to Locale.
>> I'm honestly not sure why this would have any effect.  The importer
>> doesn't use the locale, per se.  Unless you're saying you changed the
>> locale before you exported your previous QIF?
>>
> Thanks for helping.
>
> I did not change the locale for the export or import.

Hmm, I must've misunderstood what you meant by "I changed the Locale on
my Mac to US and changed the date/time in Gnucash to Locale", then -- if
you didn't change the locale..  *shrugs*

> I only changed the locale when suggested by David as this had worked to
> fix the import as shown in some of the earlier postings to this mail list.

And my point was that this shouldn't have any effect on the importer,
because the QIF importer doesn't (or, rather didn't -- maybe it was
changed to) use the locale date functions.

> Changing the locale to US (computer), then exporting the accounts,
> transactions, securities  and then importing allowed Gnucash to get much
> further in the import.
>
>>>    I was able to get much further in the import process; read in QIF file,
>>>    set-up & check accounts, categorize stocks, bonds, funds etc.
>>>    But then it crapped out with error "A bug was detected while converting
>>>    the QIF data."  OK.  And now what?  Now that description is as good as
>>>    most Windows bugs!  If only it had a bug number or more info in the
>>>    description, and I might have an idea of where to start.
>>>    What bug might Gnucash be alluding to?
>>>    Thanks again for your help.
>> What does /tmp/gnucash.trace say?
> I have no file called gnucash.trace in the /tmp/ directory.  Does /tmp/
> get flushed after each restart?  If yes, then I'll have to try the
> import again and see if I get this file.

Yes, it gets flushed at every GnuCash restart.

>> -derek
>>
> Yes, sorry if I goofed on the cc.  I thought I sent to the list.

You did.  I just keep that footer in all my replies because many people
don't.