Capital One and DirectConnect - any advice appreciated

Emmet Devine emmetdevine at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 17:27:14 EST 2013

Hi,

Apologies if this question has been addressed elsewhere, but I couldn't
find it in the documentation or the mailing list archive.  In short, my OFX
transfers from Capital One have suddenly stopped working; it appears that
Capital One has changed it's system and that the previous GnuCash/AqBanking
configuration is no longer compatible.

I've been using GnuCash on Windows for the last few years and am currently
using 2.4.11.  During that time, I've had no significant issues downloading
my transactions from Capital One (or any of my other banks, credit card
companies, or brokers for that matter).

Since the middle of February, however, any attempt to get transactions
results in an error code 2000.  I enabled logging and the pertinent message
in the c:\tmp\ofx file is:

<STATUS>

<CODE>2000

<SEVERITY>ERROR

<MESSAGE>This software isn't supported by Capital One Online Banking. For
more information, please visit www.capitalone.com/online-banking/faq/ or
call us at 1-877-442-3764, option 4, M-F 8 AM - 10 PM ET, Sat-Sun 9 AM - 6
PM ET. Thanks.

</STATUS>

I've tried changing some of the settings (e.g. the version of the software
and the version of OFX) to make GnuCash/AqBanking appear more like the
officially supported packages (namely, Quicken).  The closest that I've
gotten was that a change of the OFX version from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 resulted in
the error:

<STATUS>

<CODE>2000

<SEVERITY>ERROR

<MESSAGE>Oops, this device isn't authorized for use with your Capital One
account. To authorize it, call Capital One Online Banking Customer Service
at 1-877-442-3764, option 4, M-F 8 AM - 10 PM ET, Sat-Sun 9 AM - 6 PM ET.
Thanks.

</STATUS>

I've spoken with the support at Capital One twice.  Both times, they
confirmed that my account is authorized for OFX transfers and that software
packages that are not officially supported do, in fact, work with their
system.  However, they couldn't provide any configuration advice for
unsupported packages and suggested that I contact the vendor :).

So, as the subject line indicates, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Emmet