Convert foreign currency reports to USD

George Olson grglsn765 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 02:37:13 EDT 2013

I live in a foreign country and have many operating expenses in the
currency of that country. However, the exchange rate with USD fluctuates
significantly.

Last year when I was preparing my taxes, I was able to make the reports
come out in USD, even when my expenses were in the currency of that
country. This is nice, because the conversion to the equivalent USD goes
with whatever the exchange rate of the date at the time of that transaction.

This year, as I am preparing my taxes, I am finding out that I cannot do
the same as I did last year. Under the General tab under Transaction
Reports, the Report Currency is grayed out and I am unable to select
anything. It says USD, but the report is coming out in whatever currency
the transaction was made in.

I am using gnucash 2.4.11 under openSUSE 12.2.

Is there a way to make my reports come out in USD? Otherwise there is a
significant amount of extra work involved, having to export the report
to a spreadsheet and then set up manual conversions based on the
appropriate date.

--
George Olson
Box #1: 12.2 | KDE 4.9.2 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | ATI Radeon HD 3300  | 16GB
| 8GB
learning openSUSE and loving it