MySQL not in the dropdown for new Accounts

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 17:11:51 EDT 2013

On 3/31/2013 10:32 AM, David Zelinsky wrote:
> Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> writes:

> <snip>
> <snip>
>>> I'm running the latest Ubuntu 12.10
>>> I installed via
>>> apt-get install gnucash
>> Try
>>
>> sudo apt-get install libdbd-mysql
> I also ran into this, on a Debian (wheezy) system.  I could not find
> anything in the Gnucash documentation or elsewhere that mentioned the
> need for this library, until I finally found this gnucash-user thread.
> The Debian gnucash package does not require the library, but only
> "suggests" it (or libdbd-pgsql or libdbd-sqlite3).
>
> I think this is a serious failing in documentation.  I'd like to file a
> bug report, but I'm not sure where.  Seems like it should at least be
> mentioned somewhere in the gnucash documentation.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> -David

The developers are currently kind of busy with getting the next release
out, and they may not have time to respond promptly.

The short form history lesson is that there is a long term migration
happening from the XML format data file to database format(s) that are
usually accessed by SQL such as MySQL..

To date the migration is still in a very early stage where most users
are still better off staying with the XML type file.  There is very
little documentation partly because they are not recommending users to
switch.

I would suggest not trying to use MySQL until the developers start
recommending it to ordinary users.

David  C