Can I change how GnuCash calculates sales tax?

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 20:51:25 EDT 2013

I've encountered the same thing, although I'm not even sure it is always whether the tax calculation is per-item or on the total.

I suspect that there are small numerical issues in the calculation - and I'm not saying whose calculation, the merchant's or GnuCash's - which lead to occasional inconsistencies in the calculation.  Things like one using double precision floating point, while the other uses whatever was built into some cash register years ago and is not being emulated in whatever cash register they currently have.

Quickbooks calculated the sales tax, and autofilled a line that you could then edit to correct it.   I've not seen the same in GnuCash.