Can I change how GnuCash calculates sales tax?

reidun76 reidun76 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 17:32:53 EDT 2013

Hi, I live in Alberta, Canada, and I occasionally have a small problem with
how GnuCash calculates sales tax. It seems that most vendors charge sales
tax based on the total amount of the taxable items, while GnuCash calculates
it for each item and then adds up the total. Usually this works fine, but
once in a while I run into a discrepancy of a penny. If it is a penny too
much sales tax, I can usually play around with item amounts, such as for a
$5.99 item, changing the amount to $5.9899. This doesn't affect the total
item amount, and will often bring the tax down one cent. Also, sometimes
GnuCash calculates 1 cent too little tax. I get around this by adding a line
to the bill just for the extra cent GST.

Is there a better way to be doing this? I'm wondering if maybe there's a
setting somewhere to change from calculating GST on a per-item basis to
calculating based on the total amount of taxable items. I checked around in
Preferences, but didn't see anything there. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!