delete file names

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri May 3 18:51:35 EDT 2013

Joe,

On Fri, May 3, 2013 6:34 pm, JOSEPH AIELLO wrote:
> WELL I am getting close,but no cigar yet.
> I want to delete the entire account,not entries in Chart of Accounts.

I think there is a terminology issue here, and that is causing confusion
(both to you and to the rest of us).  So let me define some terms as far
as GnuCash uses them:

Datafile: a file containing a single GnuCash Book
Book: a set of Accounts
Account: a container that holds Accounts and Transactions
Transaction: a binding of Splits that moves value between Accounts
Split: a part of a Transaction that binds a debit or credit to/from a
particular Account
Chart of Accounts: a page in the GnuCash UI that displays your Accounts in
tree form

So when you say "delete the entire account, not entries in the Chart of
Accounts" you're not making any sense.  Do you want to delete an Account
or are you asking to delete a Datafile?

> Foe example I want to establish  a real account and one or two test
> accounts for "testing" as I work my way around this sytem.
> Currently I can    delete the entire list using the reconmendtions
> suggested. Is there a method to delete a  particular account? I want to
> keep the real account.

It sounds like you're using "account" instead of "Data file" here.
Yes, you can have multiple data files.  GnuCash remembers the most recent
data files you've used, and will automatically reopen the most recently
used data file.  But your data files are just that, files.  You can delete
them just like you would delete a Doc or Spreadsheet file.  GnuCash may
still list it in the Recently Used files, but you can safely ignore that.
Worst case if you delete the most recently used file, GnuCash will
complain when you start it, but you can just File -> Open the correct file
(or choose the correct file from the list).

Hope this helps,

> ......thanks ...... joe

>  5/3/13, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is
>
> From: David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: delete file names
> To: "JOSEPH AIELLO" <jraiello at verizon.net>
> Cc: "Users Gnucash" <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> Date: Friday, May 3, 2013, 3:32 PM
>

> Joe--
>

> I'm glad that helped.
>

> You can delete individual accounts in the Chart of Accounts window. Just
> select the account you want to delete and click the delete button. I
> believe right-clicking may get you the option as well. If the account has
> transactions in it, Gnucash will ask you whether to delete the
> transactions there, or which account to change them all to.
>

> David
>

> P.S. Try to remember to reply-all, so others can hear the dialogue and/or
> help out as well.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745