One transaction from two accounts to one

Alois Mahdal Alois.Mahdal.1-ndmail at zxcvb.cz
Wed May 8 14:29:54 EDT 2013

Hello!

What is the best way to record transaction that involves two
"cash" accounts and one "expenses" account?

I have two cash accounts: one for CZK (real cash in my wallet)
and other one for meal vouchers (I have created a VOUCHER
security type and a custom security that I keep at price 80CZK).

    I'm newbie in this Double-entry bookkeeping thing, so please
    be patient and expect my misunderstandings of the subject.
    (Pointers to) general explanations welcome ;-)

Now I want to record the fact that I have spent one voucher and
20 CZK for lunch.  That is, total value of 100 CZK that should
later appear as expense for food. Of course, I could record
that as two transactions, but I don't feel it's correct in the
long term...

Paying partly with vouchers and partly with money is very
common.  Similar, less common but somehow simpler example could
be paying at, say a book store, partly by card and partly by
cash (say, because I don't have enough on either of accounts).

How should I record these cases?  I'm trying to use "split" for
that but balance plays jokes on me I'm probably misunderstanding
the feature completely.

Thanks,
aL.