Investment Types

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu May 9 12:09:22 EDT 2013

On 5/9/2013 9:44 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> writes:

>>> A.  I am a user, not a developer
>>> B.  All I know is that I get an error message every time I update prices.
>>>
>>> David C
>> I forgot C.  A developer should know what the system created and be able
>> to delete all other templates.
> Not is not necessarily true.  There may not be some key to
> differentiate, which is why I posed the question.
>
>> DAvid C
> -derek
>
> PS: Any reason these are private replies and not on the list?

Sorry about the private reply, sometimes my mail client (Thunderbird)
does something different that I don't expect when I click 'reply list'

Once I tried to follow the instructions to edit the XML but I could not
figure out which lines needed to be expunged and which needed to be
left.  That may have been partly because I am not conversant with XML
syntax beyond the most basic characteristics, and partly because I could
not find the companion style-sheet file (XLT or whatever it is called,
if and when it exists).  I also was having trouble finding an editor
that could handle huge files in XML format(I think that was on a
different computer that didn't play well with large files).

If there is something that should not be deleted, can GnuCash fix it if
it is accidentally deleted?

What would GnuCash include in a brand new file?  Would it appear as the
file is created or would it appear when some stock related data is
entered?

Is there a 'style-sheet' type of file that defines such things as
variables, constants, data types, and so forth?  Why would a user care,
anyway?

Why has that bug gone un-fixed for years?

As a user I cannot answer this type of question, so that is why I
thought asking a user type of question like "How can I make GnuCash stop
pausing and giving me that pesky error message in the middle of
downloading prices?" would suffice.

David C