Investment Types

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri May 10 12:17:12 EDT 2013

David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry about the private reply, sometimes my mail client (Thunderbird)
> does something different that I don't expect when I click 'reply list'

It's possible that you replied to a message that was received with you
as a CC instead of through the list itself.  (Gnus, my MUA, doesn't have
reply-to-list, only reply-all)

> Once I tried to follow the instructions to edit the XML but I could not
> figure out which lines needed to be expunged and which needed to be
> left.  That may have been partly because I am not conversant with XML
> syntax beyond the most basic characteristics, and partly because I could
> not find the companion style-sheet file (XLT or whatever it is called,
> if and when it exists).  I also was having trouble finding an editor
> that could handle huge files in XML format(I think that was on a
> different computer that didn't play well with large files).
>
> If there is something that should not be deleted, can GnuCash fix it if
> it is accidentally deleted?

Probably not.

> What would GnuCash include in a brand new file?  Would it appear as the
> file is created or would it appear when some stock related data is
> entered?

If you use File -> Export Accounts to create a mirror CoA empty of
transactions it will include the necessary securities for all the
accounts.  However that doesn't necessarily map to fixing the tempate
stocks.

It is *possible* that a viable algorithm would be "is this stock
referenced by an account in the Root tree (versus an account in some
other hidden account tree, like the SX tree)".  However I haven't looked
at the code or data sufficiently recently to know if this trick would
work.

> Is there a 'style-sheet' type of file that defines such things as
> variables, constants, data types, and so forth?  Why would a user care,
> anyway?

???  I'm not sure I understand the question here.

> Why has that bug gone un-fixed for years?

That's a good question to which I do not have the answer.  I know that
I've been complaining about it for a while.

> As a user I cannot answer this type of question, so that is why I
> thought asking a user type of question like "How can I make GnuCash stop
> pausing and giving me that pesky error message in the middle of
> downloading prices?" would suffice.

No, but as a normal user you CAN supply decent functional requirements
for what the program should do, even if you cannot necessarily specify
how it accomplishes it.  However the line between those two parts is
always fuzzy.