Moving Data to New PC

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat May 11 19:53:10 EDT 2013

On Sat, 11 May 2013 19:38:12 -0400
"Ken G." <beachkidken at gmail.com> wrote:

> I dare say it is a matter of copying the last ten files saved, the
> application and
> the log files. I never could figure out what the different is. When I
> have to manually
> open a file, it is either the latest 'application log' or the GnuCash
> financial data
> file. For example, below are my latest files for two days:
>
> /home/keng/GnuCash/kengreen.gnucash.20130113125752.gnucash.20130510202835.log
> /home/keng/GnuCash/kengreen.gnucash.20130113125752.gnucash.20130511164537.log
> /home/keng/GnuCash/kengreen.gnucash.20130113125752.gnucash
> /home/keng/GnuCash/kengreen.gnucash.20130113125752.gnucash.20130511164650.log
>
> The first file was saved Friday while the last three was saved at the
> same time on Saturday.
> It is beyond my comprehension. Currently, I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
> as my main
> operating system.
>
> Ken
>

> On 05/11/2013 07:12 PM, Art wrote:
> > I think you just copy the GC XML file to your new PC's data
> > repository. (I use SQL, so I reference my SQL data. I've mirrored
> > it so don't think about worry about migration. In my case, I would
> > freeze my data and copy it over to my new MySQL server, if I ever
> > move my data, which I have not yet had to since my servers have
> > been quite reliable.)
> >
> > I just responded as your message came in, so I'm sure someone will
> > respond with something more along the lines you're looking for,
> > though I read your message about doing "stand-alone" stuff. (I use
> > GC because it works;  however, I use SQL to learn more about DBA.)
> >

> > - Art

You need two lots of file(s) from 2 different spots.
You need the data file, which ends .gnucash

and you need your preferences, which are stored in ~/.gnucash/books

The FAQs do explain this
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_backup_my_GC_environment.2C_including_preferences.3F

(that's one line for the browser0

because what you have to back up will be what you need to restore on
the new machine