XML format, transactions

Danny Pansters danny at sauna-joe.nl
Mon May 13 07:30:37 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I've been using GnuCash for over 4 years now for our business, together
with a cash register app I wrote myself. So far, I've been manually
entering my journal posts for the daily sales and payments and whatnot,
but that gets boring. So now I'm wanting to use that data -- it gets
archived plain text with certain codes for certain types of actions --
and convert and append it to my GnuCash XML file.

The cash register app is very general and could as well be used for a
restaurant or a hotel etc. All specific context is stored in separate
config files. Using these I assemble all the data that should go into
the daily ledger entries. I won't necessarily get all the splits filled
out completely but having the bulk of it, the most common ones, will
certainly save me a lot of time.

To get to GnuCash format I can work with a template of an actual journal
post, but questions arise. The first one being: In a transaction the
ledger accounts are referenced by id. Do I need to make a id lookup
table in my conversion script, or can I reference the accounts also by
name or number?

TIA,

Danny Pansters
Sauna Joe