Tax accounting date question

John Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Sun May 19 18:23:33 EDT 2013

On 05/19/2013 02:12 PM, Liz wrote:
> On Sun, 19 May 2013 20:16:19 +0200
> Nestor Stura <nestor.stura at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you know how to manage a posting that is done on a date but
>> corresponds to a different one?
> I put the date as the 31st March. (etc)
This issue is similar to how I handle time sensitive issues.  We are on
cash accounting, not accrual.  When I write my checks in the 3rd of say
April, I date the checks March 31, so the transaction is inside the
period (quarter or month) that the expense was incurred and the benefit
to the company (worker productivity) was received. Friends call this
"modified cash".  Of course I am writing paper checks, not making
electronic transfers to their bank accounts. This also means that I have
no adjusting entries at the end of a period that I pull financial
statements (quarterly).  Except, of course,  to adjust the asset office
supplies to account for the pieces of paper and pencil lead that was
consumed during the quarter  :)

John